Prospective IEP Candidates

What is the purpose of the Bridging Program for Internationally Educated Professionals?

There are several objectives to the bridging program provided by the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies.  Included:

  • Better prepare foreign-educated professionals for their careers through the foundation and specialized skills that fill the gaps.
  • To convene and collaborate with partners, creating opportunities for skilled immigrants to connect to the local labor market.
  • To work with key stakeholders, particularly employers, building their awareness and capacity to better integrate skilled immigrants into the workforce.

Who is the Bridging Program intended for?

This bridging program has been developed for skilled immigrants who have immigrated to Canada within the last 3 years, with international post-secondary education (minimum of a recognized Bachelor's degree) and professional work experience.  Specifically, it focuses on supporting those immigrants who do not have Canadian experience in their field to gain skills, University courses or a qualification and supports to bridge into the labour market.

Who qualifies for the program?

To qualify for the program, you must:

  • currently reside in Ontario and lived in Canada for 3 years or less;
  • have a minimum of a recognized Bachelor's degree in a related Business, IT or HR discipline from a non-Canadian University or institution;
  • be a Permanent Resident, Convention Refugee or recognized Protected Person (as defined per article 95 of Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (S.C. 2001, c. 27)
  • have related professional work experience (typically a minimum of three years in your field is recommended); and
  • have a good command of the English language as proven by ideally achieving an average CLB score of 7 or 8 +, within the past 24 months. Click here for more information on how to obtain your CLB score.

Does it really matter how long I’ve been living in Canada?

The Bridging Program is designed to best suit the needs of NEW immigrants who have been in Canada LESS than 3 years. This is because the objective of the bridging program is to better prepare internationally educated professionals for careers in their respective fields here in Ontario. Nevertheless, those who have been in Canada slightly longer than 3 years and less than 5 years are still welcome to contact us to discuss your eligibility.

I've done the IELTS and some other language tests. Can I use these to apply?

For equity purposes, we ask all applicants (regardless of country of origin or language of education) to submit scores in the Canadian Language Benchmark Test. No other test results are necessary for application. Other language tests cannot be substituted for the CLB. Learn more about the CLB test and where to book yours

How much will the program cost me?

Please visit our Fees and Additional Funding page for current Bridging Program tuition rates.

Am I eligible for financial assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)?

Currently, the Bridging Program is NOT eligible for OSAP funding. but is eligible for OBPAP bursaries and this may be available to qualifying Bridging Program participants after they apply  Find out more at OBPAP funding.  At our information sessions we can provide you with more information.

How long will it take to get through the program?

Generally the program takes about 1.5 years and is part-time approximately 2 nights per week.  Students applying will begin the program by participating in Jumpstart to Success (a pre-qualifying session) .  Thereafter, we require students take 2 courses per term (4 academic terms).  They  will start their first academic term taking two foundation courses.  As flexibility is a key component of this program, students do have the opportunity to schedule themselves in more than 2 courses per term if they wish, allowing them to 'fast-track'. But, we do not recommend that students take less than two courses per term.

Will I get Canadian Experience while I get a Canadian Education?

During the specialized skills courses, students may be eligible to participate in Experiential Education opportunities such as paid or unpaid Internships, mentorships with professionals in your field, and career services. Students also have the opportunity to enroll in one of our Experiential Education courses, such as ADMS 4950 - Consulting where students work hands-on with local businesses on consulting projects.

I speak English, but I’m not ready for the Boardroom. How will this program help?

It is anticipated that all students admitted to this program have English language skills—both verbal and written to the level of CLB 8.  However,  there are language support courses  offered throughout the Bridging Program for those who require enhancement of their English and in order to be prepared for the corporate environment students take the foundation course in Canadian Business Communication. All students will be assessed to identify their current ability and determine which class of English training they should attend.

What obstacles to employment do internationally educated professionals face?

Internationally educated professionals may face the following barriers when trying to enter the labour force:

  • Lack of recognition of international education, training, and experience;
  • Insufficient information about local employment opportunities and requirements;
  • Lack of professional networks and social in Canada;
  • Lack of occupation-specific terminology in English; and/or,
  • Difficulty obtaining Canadian work experience.

Will I get any assistance in finding a job?

Admission to the Bridging Program includes access to Career services, such as  Career Coaching, Job Search and Career Development Workshops

Can I continue my studies past the bridging program and earn a Canadian degree?

Yes, if you decide that you would like to earn a degree at York University you may apply (through Admissions) to change your status to degree studies. Your previous education and the courses that you have completed during the bridging program will be considered for transfer credit towards your new undergraduate degree. The Bridging Program will not be able to provide funding for further studies.

Current Students and Alumni

How do I access my Student Account?

You can access your Student Account.

When is my Student Account payment due?

Please see your Student Account Online Statement on the Student Financial Services website for payment due dates.

What are the add and drop dates? What about the financial penalties?

You will find all of this information on the Registrar’s ‘Important Dates’ page.

Why can’t I add my courses?

Students are assigned a specific enrolment time. Please pay a visit to the Registrar’s Office website, click on ‘Find out when I can enrol’, sign into Passport York, and review your enrolment access times.

What do I do if the course I have selected is restricted or full?

If a course shows as "full", you should keep checking the availability on the York Courses Website. It is possible that in the weeks leading up to a new term and in the first week after the term begins, students may drop and a seat may become available.

If a course shows as having "restricted seats", you will need to email the department offering the course and request permission to enrol, provided that you meet the course prerequisites. for more information, please contact us at makemore@yorku.ca.

Where can I find my tax forms?

You can find them on the Student Financial Services.

I have completed my courses. How do I apply to graduate?

Certificate students can graduate in October, February, or June. You will receive an email notification when you are eligible to graduate. At that time, please fill out the appropriate form and email it to makemore@yorku.ca with ‘Application to Graduate Form’ in the subject line.

I applied to graduate. How do I pick up my certificate?

Certificates are usually ready the month after your graduation and can either be mailed or picked up at the Office of the Registrar. Please visit their Diploma Services page for more details.

How do I order a transcript?

I need a letter from the IEP Office. How do I obtain one?

Please email makemore@yorku.ca and state your first and last name, the purpose of the letter, and the desired content.